The EU Referendum - Rachel Ellen

Monday 27 June 2016

The EU Referendum


So, the EU referendum. I was very to and fro about writing anything about this. By this point everybody must have talked about it and I'm sure many of you are bored of it but I wanted to put my own opinion in the mix. (everything is opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own, but I am very up for fair discussion)

Firstly, I will address those people upset about the claims to do with the NHS. 
1. If you believe anything Nigel Farage says, you deserve everything you get. 
2. If you believed a Tory government, who had one of their main policies to privatise many aspects of the NHS when you (as a country) voted them in, would put any more money (nevermind 350 million) into the NHS then you are a little bit silly, this only took a small amount of memory or research.
But I get it, you were hopeful.



 This could be argued that it is a suggestion rather than a campaign promise. Either way that video of Farage on the morning show is equally hilarious.

Secondly, if you followed a campaign by Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage.... why?

But anyway, you may not have voted that way because of the people involved. I have to say I really disagree with the lists of politicians and financy businessy people floating round to try and get you to vote remain. That is not a fair and reasonable argument, and actually, these rich highly educated people really aren't very relatable to the majority of the country.

You may have guessed already, I voted remain. I stand by that choice and I have to say I am very shocked with the result of the country's vote, however I don't mean to say this is definitely the wrong or right choice. My main concern was the uncertainty of the country in the event of leave, but now I guess I get to find out what happens!

But then am I shocked? The remain campaign was terrible in comparison to the leave campaign, I think the politicians who wanted remain never actually thought the country would vote out (judging by the shock on their faces). Now we have no prime minister, half a labour party and a lot of panic. The government should have made it very clear what would happen in the event of either result.

I have a little theory that the leave campaigners didn't actually want to leave (some anyway), the fact that Farage conceded before the count and the look on their faces after the result. It was a bit of a ramshackle campaign, full of lies and led by people with a questionable reputation. However the voting public looked at the reasons and felt this was the best decision for them. There is also the other theory that the main politicians all wanted to leave, which is why the remain campaign was barely executed.

My main concern now is how everybody is dealing with the whole thing. Yes everyone will talk about it, no that doesn't mean they "think they are a politician". Young people talking about politics and being interested is exactly what we want. This is one of the most interesting and important things to happen in a very long time. No, not every leave voter is a racist or xenophone, however many racists and xenophobes are using this result as an excuse to treat people in a disgusting manner, I'm truly embarrassed by the actions of many.

The result, being so marginally separated, it is understandable that many people would want a re-vote, and see if we can get a larger majority split. However these terms were not set before the voting, so therefore a re-vote happening is extremely unlikely, but of course stand up for what you believe - without calling people uneducated.

I for one am very intrigued with the future, this might be the best decision that has ever been made for the country, it is equally likely that this could be the worst. I am gutted that we may lose the free movement of people, I want to be able to live wherever I want to live very easily, but that is not the case.

Don't be afraid to be interested in politics, but don't act in ways that make anybody afraid, no matter where they come from. Let's see what the future holds for our tiny little island, now that we are all alone and less then one percent of the worlds population.

Thanks for reading,

Rachel xx

 

No comments:

@templatesyard