Details - Rachel Ellen

Monday 6 June 2016

Details


Where I live, views like this aren't hard to come by (trust me though, I do still think it's amazing) but sometimes, we look so hard at the bigger picture, sometimes we miss the small details.

This is a reservoir near where I live that I have walked around SO many times in my lifetime, and yet I really looked at something for the first time the other day. This is going to sound crazy!


Pine trees, there are so many around this reservoir. All of a sudden I realised I had no idea how pine cones come about and was really curious about how they grew, cue lots of intense looking at the trees. I'm so glad nobody else was about!


So apparently, these little orange doodads are actually male pinecones that grow only up to 2 inches in length, they create the pollen that is released into the air. And the brown cone below that we're more used to is the female cone, which is used to protect the seeds as they develop (more info here if you'd like to be a pine cone expert)



I think what I'm trying to get at with this post is that we miss the details sometimes, the little things that are all around us, sometimes beauty isn't the big and obvious things.

But also, how cool are pine trees (about as cool as you Rachel)

 

Thanks for reading,

Rachel xx

4 comments:

  1. This is actually so cool haha! I love posts like these. I go on walks around my village sometimes if the weather is nice and I always take the same route - but sometimes I notice stuff I've never even seen before!

    Robyn / Phases Of Robyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice noticing new things! I decided not to put too much info in about pine trees after all my googling haha! x

      Delete
  2. I love photo diaries like this, as it gives a real insight into things that I miss in everyday life, and makes me pay more attention to my surroundings and see the little things. Loved this! :)

    Bethany // wardrobespareoom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it, I love the days when you have a little bit of time to look at details! xx

      Delete

@templatesyard