Is there any point in Valentines Day? - Rachel Ellen

Wednesday 3 February 2016

Is there any point in Valentines Day?



Valentines day is coming around once again, but is it really that big of a deal? Is it really about showing someone you love them or is it a ploy by the media and big business to make money?

The two of course can be intertwined you can show someone you love them whilst also being sucked into the machine. This year I've asked my boyfriend if we can not bother with it - he's nervous of course trying to figure out if I really mean it (I do mean it!!) this is a link to a blog post of the first valentines day we had together. I think I felt like I should enjoy it because I had a boyfriend and I shouldn't moan any longer. Only two years later and I've realised how forced the whole thing is and to most people it seems like a competition of who can post the best thing on Facebook/Instagram! And it wasn't just my single cynicism making me think that.


By all means we can go on a chocolate shopping spree on the 15th February, get all the sale chocolate we can and maybe some nice flowers! But to pay the extortionate prices for these gifts, or meals, or a weekend away just seems so silly when you can do it the week after (or any other time in the year you just feel like sharing the love) for around half the price!

If you're a person that really likes valentines day, then I hope you really enjoy it, but remember it's about each other, not what you post on social media!

Am I just a Valentines scrooge or is anybody else with me?

Thanks for reading,

Rachel xx


6 comments:

  1. This is exactly how I feel about all the over-priced gifts, flowers, chocolates. I'd rather have a hand-drawn card and some flowers from the garden. It's not about money. It's about love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely, a little bit of thought and effort goes a lot further than money splashed out! x

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with everything you said. It does feel like everyone just wants to best gifts or surprise so that they can Instagram it. And I think it's kind of silly to pay so much money to do something on Valentine's Day when you could do it any other day for much cheaper! Also, the 14th it's my sister's bday so I never celebrate Valentine's Day haha I just spend the day with her and chill! x

    Ariadna || RAWR BOWS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all got a little out of hand hasn't it! Your sister's birthday is a very good reason to not celebrate valentines day though! x

      Delete
  3. Loved this post! I think it's just a normal day but makes people who aren't in relationships feel better! Instead I like to spend time with family that make me very happy x

    http://thriftyvintagefashion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It should be all about feeling happy, so spending it with family sounds a great thing to do! x

      Delete

@templatesyard