Equality - Rachel Ellen

Saturday 27 September 2014

Equality

Following Emma Watson's UN speech, I've been thinking a lot about Feminism, about equality and what everyone stands for. I'll try not to waffle on for too long. I realise this isn't my usual type of blog post but I felt it was important and relevant.

The new campaign "HeForShe" is about men being involved in the fight for equality. Feminism has, over and over again been associated with negative connotations "man-hating" being one of them. I do believe Feminism is a confusing word, due to it sounding much more like the word female. The Google definition is:



The key part being "equality of the sexes" 

Emma Watson speaks about how men should be involved with feminism, and this is what this campaign is about. I won't go into too much detail, I feel it is important for you to watch and gain your own opinions.

After watching this myself I came across a video saying she failed in this attempt of a speech. I was quick to click as I wondered what criticism could be brought upon that speech. But he has some valid points, his analysis of "HeForShe" is particularly interesting. Again watch for yourself, there are moments I definitely don't agree, but it is always interesting to see the other side.

If you are a person who has a negative view of feminism and don't identify yourself as a feminist due to these bad connotations, I don't believe you are a bad person. I believe most people have very little understanding of the matter due to the media. This campaign, although possibly badly worded, is important. If only women are included in the fight for feminism then it is pointless. That is only half the worlds population.

What I feel is the main problem in the fight for equality is the "us and them" attitude. Tumblr is a prime example of a place of this attitude. One post has been bugging me for a long time is this:

In my opinion a straight person advocating gay rights is a good thing. This man is stating it is wrong that a straight woman is standing up for gay rights. Furthering the divide between "Us and Them" When in fact the aim is to all be "Us".

I see this time and time again, the misunderstanding of the aims of equality. People of colour dissociating themselves from the other, homosexual/bisexual, trans etc furthering the divide rather than accepting the people who do believe in their equality.

I am a feminist because I believe in equality. I believe in equality of genders, of races, of sexualities. And I believe that if you are part of the majority, if you are a part of the privileged you are not a bad person, if you stand for the rights of everybody.

Women got to vote in the UK in 1918 (although this was not yet all women but it was the beginning) that was a huge step that, I bet, a lot believed wouldn't happen, and yet here we are. Equality will unfortunately take a long time, but it doesn't mean it won't happen. 

I'm not aiming to change the world with this post, but if I could change the opinion of one person I would be happy


Thanks for reading, especially if you made it all the way to the bottom.

Rachel xx



1 comment:

  1. Hi! I love your blog, you have great style!
    Would you like to follow each other on GFC? Please let me know on my blog so I can follow back.
    http://entrejoyasydiamantes.blogspot.com.es/
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

@templatesyard